Thursday, November 6, 2014

Meeting in Mauritius: Finding family on the other side of the world!

Leaving Geneva and seeing the snow on the mountain tops was pretty surreal after my weekend of hot sun in the Alps.  Arriving in Mauritius and being dropped off at the beach in the photo above, felt like I was transported into a dream world. 

Probably the clearest water I've ever seen.

I am visiting Michel, my dad's friend from when he used to live here in 1971.  My dad spent just over a year here and attended the Lycée school in Floreal.




These pictures are taken at Michel's parent's house and they live on the South Coast near Pointe d'Esny.

This point was full of kite surfers getting ready to take off.  I sat and watched for a while, I tell ya they make it look easy!


This letter is a very special item.  When my father was near the end of his life, his psychologist recommended that he start to give his things away as it was a healthy part of the process of dying.  I think it put him at ease knowing his belongings were being taken care of, he gave a lot of his things to my sister and I.  

This letter was different.  He had this wrapped in plastic and it was stored away with things like his old passports, photos from traveling, and various souvenirs.  When he pulled it out he started to tell me about his friend Michel Sauzier in Mauritius.  He and Michel were best friends back in Lysée in Floreal.  After he found this letter, my dad put me in contact with Michel and we traded emails back and forth.  The letter posted above resulted in the trip that you see here in this blog post.  Michel and his wife Christine hosted me for an incredible week and half while visiting Mauritius, but I'll get to that.  When I first reached out to Michel I told him I wanted to travel to Mauritius and see him because I had something for him from my father, I specifically remember that I didn't say what it was, only that I had something for him.

When my father unfolded this brittle aged letter, I couldn't believe how old it looked.  It was dated 1971, and I was stunned when I realized he carried it with him all those years.  I blurred out the photo because I think it's private, but in summary, Michel had written down a list of all the experiences they shared together.  It was clearly a walk down memory lane and when my dad pulled it out he had a twinkle in his eye and a mischievous smile on his lips.  It represented a part of his youth, a long lost friend, and a tropical island off the coast of Madagascar.  When he read it over for me, we were both transported back 43 years to a small country full of sugar cane and promise.  We had some laughs talking about the various activities mentioned, it was a touching moment for me, and I really enjoyed hearing my father's stories.

He asked me to take this letter to Michel when I visited Mauritius and return it to him.  This was important to him, and I took it upon myself to bring it halfway around the world with me.  Canada, Mexico, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, and finally to Mauritius.  There were some wet and rainy days and when it really poured this letter is what I was worried about.  You don't take a request like this lightly...

In a bizarre twist of fate Michel had actually booked a flight to Quebec to visit my dad in Sept. of 2013.  After over forty years apart these old friends were once again going to be reunited.  Tragically my dad died a week before Michel was due to arrive.  Michel was really shook up and I think he took it hard.  It was added motivation for me to make sure I safely delivered this letter to Mauritius and paid him a visit on behalf of my father.

After a lovely weekend at Michel's parent's house we went back to Michel's place.  I couldn't wait any longer, I had cycled thousands of kilometres to meet him, so I seized the moment.  It was time to pass the torch, so I sat Michel down and told him the story.  I let him know that it was really important to my dad that I give him this letter, and it was a very emotional moment when I handed it to him.  We both had tears in our eyes, and for a few minutes I watched Michel read the letter recounting all those memories from days gone by.  

Incredibly, after he read the letter Michel looked up at me, and he told me he knew it was going to be this letter.  He said that when I first mentioned giving him something from my dad, he had no doubt in his mind it was this letter.  This blew me away, I mean I just couldn't get my mind around that last part...it was a very powerful moment and I am just so thrilled to have been able to do this for my father, and to have shared that evening with Michel!

Market day in Port Louis, the capital of Mauritius.  I had to drop off my Indian Visa application so I took some time to walk around.

Like parks, markets are a fantastic way to get a feel for the culture of a country.  The people, the sounds, the fruits, the conversations, the language, it all adds up to a masterpiece that paints a clear picture of what it means to be Mauritian.



I believe this statue depicts the father of Mauritius, Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam.

The flag of Mauritius down by the harbour.

Went for a little ride, found "Le trou de cerfs" which is an ancient volcano.  Pretty neato!

View overlooking the town of Curepipe.


Riviere Noir is down that valley at the ocean's edge.

Reserve Tamarind, a local fisherman on the shoreline.



Boris from Maurice! This guy was an animal.  It took everything I had to not get dropped.  He was fresh off competing at the Commonwealth games as a triathlete.  Michel introduced me to him and we did a 5 hour loop of the South of the island, approx 90km.

Quick stop for some cocos!

Riding along the South coast.

Quick break, Boris never stops for more then 5 minutes.  A much faster pace then I was used to.  I was eating the whole day, he had like one coco and 2 bananas, amazing.






This was on the final hill of the day, I was beat, I mean I really had nothing left.  He was still energetic and offered to take a few shots.



Another reason why I came to Mauritius was to see where my Grandfather worked.  He helped build and develop the library at the University of Mauritius.  Once again Michel came through with another contact and I met Leo on campus to do the tour.  He was FULL of information and I learned a lot that day!



That's the library on the right.

Mr. Bougainville welcomed me to campus.








This photo is of the house where my family lived.  The following three photos are what it looks like now!




I grew up hearing stories about Mauritius.  My grandparent's house was full of African artifacts, unbelievable masks and Mauritian paintings.  It felt like this other worldly place, so far away and yet so magical. My dad told me lots of stories, showed me pictures, but it was on the other side of the world.  I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would be able to visit this island nation one day. To actually travel here and meet my father's friend was truly a memorable experience.  Michel and Christine, I want to thank both of you from the bottom of my heart for welcoming me into your home.  You made me feel like family from the moment I arrived.  This bearded Canadian man has been truly touched by your generosity and your hospitality.  You made my trip so very special, and you showed me so much...words cannot describe how grateful I am to have met you both.  Sharing that time with you out on the water Michel was especially moving, thank you for your kind words about my dad...my visit to Mauritius was more meaningful for me than I could have ever expected.  

The door to my home will always be open to you and your family, and I sincerely hope that I get to host you at the lake one day.

Merci beaucoup mes amis, et a la prochaine!

I'm starting to put some videos together, so click here to see Mauritius!



No comments:

Post a Comment