Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Cowbells, Gruyere, et les Alps

I'm getting Artsy Fartsy in my old age.


Day 1
L’Etivaz a Gstaad
Distance: 16KM
Elevation: 1150m

More info here

After an amazing few days in Villars-sur-Ollon, I was ready to hit the mountains. I want to thank a few people for making this possible.  Christina et Eva etait tellement gentille, elles m'a donner permission pour laissez mon vela dans le chalet pour le fin de semaine.  Sans leur aide je pense pas que mon weekend serait possible.  Merci beaucoup!

I'd also like to mention one of my hosts, I stayed with Sarah Prior in Yverdons-les-Bains earlier that week, and we talked about doing some hiking.  This is the beauty of Couchsurifng, you meet people along the way who are interested in the same activities, and with the contacts you make, hikes like these are made possible.  I was touring the school and preparing for the presentation on Friday and I didn’t have any time to research some hikes.  She sent me an email with a complete itinerary for both days, merci encore Sarah!

 SO MUCH CHEESE!!


Looking down at L'Etivaz




Sarah and I on the trail towards Gstaad

 Happy dance occurred here.

 Incredible spot to have lunch, take 1.

 Take 2

 Take 3
In my humble opinion, I'm improving at this photography thing.  I think this is the best timed photo.  Although I cut myself out of the photo, the perspective from this angle is jaw droppingly beautiful.

I found these cowbells in our Couchsurfing host's house. These are the bells put on the cows so that the owners don't lose them (I know it seems ridiculous but they don't fence them in here and the Alps are big, this is local free range grass fed beef at its finest).  These are the instruments responsible for producing the beautiful soundtrack behind hiking in the Alps.




Day 1
Zweisimmen a Gstaad
Distance: 17KM
Elevation: 1250m

More info here.

After a lovely night with our host Daniela I hit the hay early.  I was bagged, it has been confirmed through my research that cycling DOES NOT use the same muscles as hiking.  Slept like a baby.  The next morning I woke up to the most beautiful aromas in the world.  As it turns out, Daniela is the head chef of the bakery that is located directly below her apartment.  You think waking up to the smell of fresh bread form an automatic bread maker is nice, try waking up to a gourmet Swiss bakery in the Alps.  I immediately purchased three croissants and ate them within 30 seconds, I was ready for day 2 in the mountains.

Yummm, gruyere cheese...This is the start of Day 2!  We were so lucky with the weather.  I use luck loosely because I logged quite a few rain days cycling to Switzerland.  The Universe has a beautiful way of balancing everything out.
We are literally hiking up a black diamond ski run here.  The tower behind Sarah is the chairlift.  I could reach out and touch the slope in front of me while walking up it.  I was acutely aware of my gastrocnemius muscle at this moment.

 Views everywhere, hard to take a bad photo here.  TROP BEAU!

 Almost at the top, we are still going strong, team Couchsurfing is united in our goal to summit the highest peak for lunch.

 2078 metres elevation, or 6817.59 feet, but who's counting.  Quite possibly the highest point I've ever hiked to.  Fun fact: I started at 11 metres below sea level at Schipol Airport in Amsterdam.

 Epic lunch spot Day #2

 The Ridge, I was giggling like a school girl here, I ran down the trail as fast as I could.  No amount of Gruyere cheese could slow me down, I was high on life!


 Straw tastes delicious at high elevations, wait a second...does that mean I'm local grass fed beef as well?

 Moo



The town of Gstaad below, I have a few friends that play on the FIVB World Beach Volleyball Tour.  I remember them telling me about this tournament, apparently it rained pretty hard this year.  I'll be sure to let the organizers know that they should move the event to October! Does that work with your schedules Jamie and Mav?

 This photo is for my buddy Rob Conroy.  He's my boy when it comes to snowboarding back home.  Well my friend, feast your eyes on these pillowy open bowls.  There are 19 chair lifts connecting every peak and every valley that you see in my photos in this post.  That is not an exaggeration.  That small little house down below is a mid mountain chair, and it continues up to the right.  Shall we set a 3 year goal right now?


Wow


Big what up to Sarah and Daniela for completing this unreal day!  8 hours on the trail capped off by this hilarious photo!  A la prochaine!  Allez!

No comments:

Post a Comment