Friday, November 21, 2014

Top 5 reasons you SHOULD see India by bike!


Top 5 reasons you SHOULD see India by bike

When I told people that I'd be cycling through India, everyone told me it's too dangerous.  The road conditions don't allow it, and that I shouldn't go.  Coming to India with my bike was the best decision I ever made!

1.  Riding through small towns at 6am will give you a glimpse into Indian culture that you won’t get anywhere else. Preparing meals, creating flower arrangements, milking cows/goats, and daily prayers are all included in the early morning routines here.

2.  You’ll start the party everywhere you go!  Stopping on the side of the road is an experience in itself, every single time.  You’ll find yourself posing for selfies with the locals, explaining your bike gear, and giving the locals a shot at balancing a fully loaded bike!

3.  Guaranteed weight loss!  I cycled 86km the other day, and it felt like 200km in this incredibly humid heat.  I drank 6L of water that day, and it still wasn’t enough, I am however trimming up quite nicely.

4.  When you bike through India you are touched by the smiles of the people you see.  When you take the train or bus, so many special moments pass you by.  If you want to stop and pray at a temple on your bike, you just pull over.  If you want to cool down, you find the next coco stand.  

5.  India’s busy streets and lack of traffic controls will bestow upon you the powers of a Jedi Master.  You will learn quickly how to avoid cows, goats, rickshaws, chickens, buses, yaks, dogs, dead snakes, and horrible road conditions. If you survive India on a bike, you can safely say you are prepared to cycle anywhere in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment