Sunday, November 23, 2014

The Smiling Faces of India

Quick stop for some supplies, turned into another party!
Cycling in India is wonderful.  I might be biking by myself, but I am never alone.  Locals will pull up beside me and 80% of the day there is a motorbike or bicycle riding with me.  This can be a little dangerous as there is always traffic coming, but they insist on riding side by side.  At times I've had up to 5 bikes with me. 

They are so curious here, always asking questions, wanting to know where I'm going, where I'm from.  They will bike with me for many KMs, waving to their friends, making small talk.  It's a lot of fun!



Water break.  There are little shops like this everywhere, they sell chips, peanuts, water, snacks etc.  Prices are so low, it's by far the cheapest place I've been while riding...

I stopped for a quick water break when these woman stopped what they were doing and ran down the road to meet me.  Asking my name, shaking my hand, they were quite inquisitive.  This is rare, usually it's the men that approach me.  However, this was a very rural area, and there wasn't anyone around.  I took it as a complement that they felt safe enough to approach me and ask questions. Their smiles fill my dreams at night, Indians are the most respectful and lovely people.

Talking shop with some of the elders.  We don't speak the same language, but this gentleman loved my bike.  Poking all the different parts of the bike, asking questions.  I convinced him to take the bike for a ride, he was laughing the whole time!

Now you can see that the motorbikes are starting to line up.  Everyone pretty much stops to see what the bearded white guy is doing.  It doesn't take long to attract a crowd.  The guy in blue was so funny, he wasn't interested in riding the bike, but he did sit on it while I held it steady.

These two rode along with me for over 20 minutes.  Talking about India and Canada.  They always ask for your mobile number, but I prefer to give them my Facebook because the SIM cards I have will be thrown out when I return home.

These guys were so happy to meet me, really friendly.

This young man was a champ.  No problem riding the Santos Stallion!

These kids were playing makeshift cricket in the field behind them.  I stopped and asked if I could play, they were over the moon that I wanted to play with them.  Just for fun I swung the cricket bat like a baseball bat, they thought it was hilarious, one boy was rolling on the ground laughing and pointing at me!  They explained to me how to run back and forth after I make a hit.  After the game we went to meet Leo and look at the bike, I won't ever forget that cricket game.

These two followed me for quite some time.  The little guy couldn't even reach the pedals on his bike, but he didn't care.  It was shiny and he clearly took care of it.  Cyclists unite!
These kids were on their way to school!


No comments:

Post a Comment