Monday, August 18, 2014

The kindness of strangers

Just before I left Belgium I had a long travel day.  I was trying to make it to France in good time.  So I had some long hours on the bike and at one point, I was so hungry I had to stop and eat the food I had bought.

I literally pulled right over on the road, and just grabbed my food and just started wolfing it down.  I actually had placed the plate on this hedge that was outside a big building.  I had checked it out first, and it looked abandoned as there was construction material everywhere.  So I was actually using the hedge as a table...not the most polite but when you're exhausted, dehydrated, and hungry...you just eat without thinking...

So all of a sudden a man walks out.  He sees me eating quite fast, but also using his hedge.  I thought to myself, "Alex you are an idiot, you disrespected this man's property and now he's going to let you have it".  I held my head in shame and he approached me with these words: "You mustn't eat like that.  It's no good for you to eat quickly and standing.  You must sit and enjoy the food, you must relax while eating.  It would be better for you to come inside and eat with me."  Quote, unquote.  No mention of the hedge, no mention of me trespassing, he is inviting me in?

So I agree, because when offered hospitality you accept.  He saw my flags, and he was very interested in my trip.  So we go inside and I meet his wife.  Turns out they've bought this old school and now they're renovating it, hence why it looks in disrepair.  They insist I sit down and then we all drink wine together.  I tell them where I have come from, and where I'm going.  I also share the story of my father's last wishes and they are extremely touched.  They offer more wine.  They ask if I'm alone, how I do it, and they are really moved.  The wife has tears in her eyes.

We have an amazing lunch together, we are merry and we drink wine.  We talk about their travels next, and they love Canada!  In fact, we spoke at length about the positive relationship between the Netherlands and Canada.  Not only is there the history from the war, we actually saved the Dutch from the Germans, but also the ongoing gifts of tulips that the Dutch send to Ottawa every year.  10000 to be exact.  I have felt nothing but love from the Dutch, and I have much love to give back. They are an amazing people and their culture is just so fascinating.

We get to talking about their trip to Canada. They like to travel by Caravan (RV) and they took a trip to Vancouver.  Then they went to the interior, and then after it all, they also visited KAMLOOPS!  They loved the dry hot weather, they saw the Rocky Mountaineer train, and they camped along the river.  WHAT ARE THE ODDS THAT I ATE RANDOMLY ATE LUNCH ON SOMEONE'S HEDGE AND THEY INVITE ME IN FOR WINE AND FOOD!  THEN THEY TELL ME THEY HAVE VISITED MY HOME TOWN!

I love traveling so much...what a wonderful life.

WW

No comments:

Post a Comment