Monday, August 11, 2014

Ils nous quittent jamais...

Sailing the seas in Thailand.  From left to right: Gilles de Chantal (my father), Dominique de Chantal (my sister) and Alex de Chantal (me!)  This is likely circa 1994, I was 11 years old and we were near Krabi on the west coast.  We were being homeschooled by Papa while living on Koh Samui.
That picture above is the first trip I took.  I was 11 years old and we moved to Thailand.  I've taken many trips since, but this next one will be my first independent voyage and by far the longest.  I'm writing this blog for my Papa, to celebrate the undertaking of this journey!  We talked about this trip many times.  I remember the way his eyes looked when we talked about travelling.  They just lit up, they were full of excitement and desire...I could see him come alive again.  We would often sit down by the lake around the fire and discuss the trip.  Papa travelled the world, a few times, and I definitely got the travel bug from him.  Merci mon Papa.  Not only did he visit many countries, he spent most of his childhood moving from one place to the next.  Actually my grandparents picked up and moved from Quebec, Canada to Accra, Ghana at a moment's notice.  Out of nowhere...pack your bags, we're moving to Ghana!!

In conversation with my Grandmaman, we talked about how United Nations contracts came up and all of a sudden they'd be living in some far off land.  Just like that, on y va!

So that's what I did, I took 6 months off and I packed my touring bike and I booked a plane ticket.  It's an around the world trip, and I couldn't be more thrilled to be going with my dad.  One last trip together...



I saw this sticker on the bathroom wallet my Couchsurfing host's place.  I haven't stopped thinking about the message since I read it...




No comments:

Post a Comment