Monday, August 18, 2014

Biking with flags, flowers, and a lion


Leo le Lion et le tournesol

I don't know what it is, but I am drawn to circles, or maybe they're drawn to me?  I found this crazy Stonehedgesque site in the middle of farmlands in the Netherlands.

Best campsite so far!

This is Charles

I stopped into this bar to get a quick bite to eat.  I didn't event make it in the door when a very nice French couple saw my bike.  See, I've found that the Canadian flags really engage people.  They want to know how far I've come and what my plans are.  It has really bridged the gap between myself and the locals.  It breaks down any barriers and people are keen to engage me in conversation.  So I saw this garage sale and I decided to buy a stuffed animal outside Rotterdam.  So I added Leo le Lion to my bike.  In addition, I always add fresh flowers as well.  It makes for quite the funny bike, but tu sais, je fais ca pour te faire sourire.  And by golly people smile.  I had a car pull up to me while biking and point and smile at my lion.  People love it! Et ca marche bien parce qu'ils ont tous un sourire.

So with my flags, flowers, and a lion I have met so many people!  So back to the French couple, they were so nice and he was also a cyclist, they shook my hand and wished me Bonne Chance on my journey.  C'est chouette ca no?

So I now I walk in the the bar, and right away I meet Charles.  He is a very nice man, he is drunk at 1pm, but he is a very kind man.  This is an amazing bar typical of Belgium, every beer has its own glass, and the place is decorated very ornately.  Charles buys me a beer right away.  We talk about my trip, and I share with him the details of my father's last wishes.  He cries, and he calls his girlfriend.  He tells her he loves her and says he met a Canadian today that is doing the most amazing journey for his father.  I am touched by his kind words.  He buys me another beer.  All said and done, we talked for a good hour and drank four beers.  I finally get on my way, a little jolly I might add, but I have the chance to also meet his friend.  His friend, pictured below, has a BOSS mustache and I ask if I can take his picture.  Charles gives me his address, phone number, and email.  Tells me I must look him up if I am ever in Ghent again.  Merci beaucoup Charles, c'etait mon plaisir de te rencontrer!


There are some nights where I have to pinch myself...I am so lucky...merci Papa!

1 comment:

  1. Maaaan! Alex this post made me weep! Annd that is a Killer stache that dude has! I will stop trimming mine today!

    ReplyDelete