Friday, March 5, 2010

TSUNAMI


Waking up today had a bit of a different ring to it. I was sure I didn't set my alarm, I mean it was the weekend. Then I listened a bit more intently, it wasn't a ringing at all it was a siren. Oh my god, what is happening why is there a very loud siren going off at 7AM in the morning.

Ah yes, the Tsunami warning siren. Actually being sounded 5 hours early. Hawaii was so prepared for the Tsunami it blew my mind. I mean we were inundated with sirens, phone calls, and every TV station was all about it. 5 hours ahead of time. My hat goes off to the government for being so organized and completely on top of the situation. Although in the end it was all for nothing, however it was comforting to know that plans are in place.

The hardest part of all of this was how gorgeous of a day it was. When I woke up to sirens, my first though was...wait...the winds died, oh yes, tradewinds are down. It was variable winds, and clear blue sunshine. I'm calling the nicest day so far this spring. I mean gorgeous sunny weather, the kind Canadians in Winnipeg dream about in March. But what's this??? A tsunami is coming??? Noooo, now I'm stuck on my computer watching live updates online till noon. It was projected to hit at 11:05AM on the Big Island. I waited till 1215PM maybe, then I was off and out the door!!!



More importantly, I learned a valuable lesson today. In times of Tsunami Warnings stay on higher ground, but go biking. Oh yah baby, hit the road on the bike. If you've ever hated biking next to trucks, or if you've ever cursed that big semi that buzzes your ear on purpose, the answer is here. Tsunami Warnings = Highways to yourself!!! Hahaha I was the ONLY one on the road. I was doing huge turns back and forth all over the highway. Double yellow line, who cares, the whole road was mine!! What an eerie, but wonderful feeling!!!



Definately a story to tell, surviving the tsunami, but the big news was being the only bike on the road.

WW

No comments:

Post a Comment