Thursday, October 16, 2014

The vineyards and lakes of Switzerland


Couchsurfing.com is such an amazing way to travel.  Connecting with the locals is just so important to me.  I have not yet stayed in a hotel, and I don't ever plan to.  

I really lucked into a place in Yverdon-les-Bains, I walked into a vegetarian Meat Free Monday theme night.  Let me explain.  See here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12953772-the-meat-free-monday-cookbook - Paul McCartney and his family started the concept and wrote a book.  

I was accepted so last minute by these two hosts!  They had a really nice apartment, with huge vaulted ceilings, massive rooms, and a sweet balcony.  I was so lucky to walk into a kitchen in full gear as 6 people whipped up an amazing veggie meal. Yellow curry (made with mortar and pestle), basmati rice, fresh organic veg, homemade humous, and apple strudels!  The strudels were the best part I think.  We all got to make our own with the dough, apples, nuts, and maples butter!  Shape it with our hands, fill the inside and then roll it.  They came out still hot from the oven after dinner, GoldStar to the hosts!  What fun! Great people, great food, great conversation!  Merci a Sarah et Regis!  If you ever visit Canada again, the Yurt door is always open!


Back roads in Switzerland, the road less traveled truly is the best way.  Leo enjoying the view.

Switzerland is one of the most naturally gorgeous countries in the world.  C'est vraiment formidable, I'm almost at the Alps!

 Lausanne was beautiful!  I stayed with Julien whom I met at my Couchsurfer's place in Yverdon the night before. He and his roommate were incredibly hospitable and we went out for beers together to a local pub, then hit la Place de Riponne for some late night laughs.  What a fun way to spend some time in the big city.  Merci les deux!  Lausanne hosted the Olympics!  I had forgotten, lots of really neat Olympic info signs every where in Lausanne, that was neat.




Leo sporting his new headband from Bahl, he relishes the spotlight.  He's always telling me that I'm in too many photos, he keeps saying I don't shower enough and that he should be featured on the blog more.  Fine, there...bully.

BOOM, WOW THE ALPS


Snack stop consisted of: 2 croissants (1 reg, 1 choco), an egg salad, a slice of pizza, a bag of cashews, and an apple.  I eat a lot of food while bike touring, I consider it gas money.



 My first pass at being an amateur photographer.


Second go around.


 Great minds think alike.


There are so many wineries in Switzerland!  It was a pleasant surprise!



 Wine and dine.


 Terrassed hillsides of vineyards for as long as the eye can see!


I mean...when in Switzerland, do as the the Suisse do!  Some of the regions finest Pinot Noir.  After I finished drinking free samples at the winery, I bought this bottle.  The cashier a dit que c'etait un  chois geniale parce que son voisin a du vin formidable! That's local enough for me!



It's a cygne

Knowing my father has been here really comforts me, his presence seems to emanate stronger inside me.  I'm getting really excited to see my dad's old school.  In 1964 he attended Ecole Beau Soleil in Villars sur-Ollons, I'm only a day away.  I feel deeply connected to him when I follow in his footsteps, this whole trip I have been honouring him the entire time.  Thanking him for everything.  He told me so much about skiing Villars, and he was always mentioning how peaceful it was in the mountains. He said he loved this area of the world. He had a lot of fond memories from his time here.  Mon Papa a beacoup aime etre tranquille au bord du lac, rest in peace now...

No comments:

Post a Comment